Dmitry Bivol’s situation remains puzzling. After taking an extended fifteen-month hiatus following his historic unified title win against Artur Beterbiev in Saudi Arabia – later reclassified as an unification championship – and successfully defending it against Michael Eifert late May in Yekaterinburg – reports concerning Bivol’s next steps have surfaced with some contradicting opinions regarding what path may lie ahead for him.
Artur Beterbiev handed Bivol his first defeat two years ago; and Bivol is currently required to defend both titles against interim WBO champion Callum Smith of Matchroom Boxing as part of their agreement. Bivol-Beterbiev interest spiked recently after President of International Boxing Association (IBA) President was linked with claims Bivol had been offered $40 Million from Artur Beterbiev for another match; Eddie Hearn (Bivol’s promoter) recently commented to dispel these rumors.
“Yeah, that’s all; none of that is true,” Hearn said when asked about the rumored July 26 deadline for the Callum Smith fight and the reported Beterbiev offer. “Firstly, I heard reports that Dmitry Bivol has been offered $40 million to fight Beterbiev. If those people are watching right now, call me and make that offer, and he will accept it immediately.”
Hearn continued, “So what Vadim [Kornilov, Bivol’s manager] and Dmitry Bivol have told me is to please begin negotiations with Umar Kremlev or RCC Boxing Promotions; we’re ready to make that fight. That’s the fight he wants. He’s due to fight Callum Smith. I think it’s unlikely he’ll defend against Callum Smith. I think Callum Smith will fight Joshua Buatsi for the vacant title. But Bivol is ready to make the Beterbiev fight.”
Hearn’s comments come amidst claims from Umar Kremlev, the IBA president, who reportedly stated he had offered Bivol a deal for the trilogy fight that was “two times bigger than in previous fights.” Previously, Bivol and Beterbiev earned approximately $10 million each for their two encounters, totaling around $20 million per fighter. Kremlev also suggested that Beterbiev was willing to face Bivol without a purse, but Bivol declined the offer.
Although these rumors have yet to be confirmed, the IBA has shown genuine interest in organizing the third fight between Bivol and Beterbiev. A statement from Kremlev indicated that planning for the bout could move forward before the end of the year. Hosting the trilogy fight in Russia remains a priority, with Moscow considered a suitable venue capable of delivering a world-class event under current global conditions.
Bivol’s recent victory over Eifert has once again positioned him with several enticing and potentially lucrative options, while also reminding him of the mandatory defenses imposed by boxing sanctioning bodies.
The Ongoing Challenges Facing Dmitry Bivol
Bivol’s difficulties have persisted since last year. Shortly after defeating Beterbiev to become the undisputed light heavyweight champion, he relinquished the WBC title after being ordered to defend it against David Benavidez. His main focus remained on pursuing the trilogy fight with Beterbiev.
According to mandated defense schedules, Bivol was expected to defend his IBF title against Michael Eifert. However, this fight did not happen as planned due to Bivol undergoing back surgery. Seeking a medical exemption, he was sidelined for much of the following year before finally returning to the ring in May.
Following the Eifert fight, Bivol considered several options including a much-anticipated matchup with Benavidez, which could potentially restore his undisputed status, alongside the long-awaited trilogy bout with Beterbiev.
Despite these prospects, further challenges have surfaced. Reports at the end of June indicated that Bivol would require elbow surgery in early July. Upon recovery, he is expected to meet the WBO’s official mandate to face Callum Smith, with negotiations having a limited window to conclude.
Bivol now faces an important decision: to pursue undisputed status or pursue the lucrative and high-profile trilogy against Beterbiev. Should Hearn be correct in suggesting such an option as likely, should Bivol choose this route, it likely means relinquishing his WBO title in favor of full champion status for Callum Smith – leaving Bivol with little option but to vacate both belts to facilitate it all.
Bivol’s future path will become clear in the next several weeks as his recent career challenges come under increased scrutiny, making this decision one of the key moments on his professional journey.